Requirements for taking spring and summer courses

You've decided to take a spring or summer course in Nova Scotia. What's next?

For a spring or summer course at your current institution:

  1. Talk to your program advisor to see if the course you want to take fits your program requirements.
  2. If it does, follow the regular registration procedure for courses at your home institution.

To take a course at a different institution than you currently attend:

  1. Contact your current institution and find out their rules and regulations for taking courses at another institution.
  2. Request a Letter of Permission (LOP) from your current institution; a LOP is a document that gives you permission to take a course or courses at a different institution with the intention of transferring the credit back to your home institution. Each college and university has specific requirements. If your current institution decides the course you want to take fits your program requirements, and meets other rules and regulations, they will give you an LOP.
  3. Once you have the LOP, contact the institution that offers the course and complete their application/registration process. You would likely be applying as a “Visiting Student,” which is defined as a student taking a course at one institution to transfer it back to their home institution.

Tip: Begin this process early, as gathering information, getting permission, and completing forms may take some time.

For more information on obtaining a Letter of Permission, visit the link of your home school below.

Acadia University

Atlantic School of Theology

Cape Breton University

Dalhousie University

Mount Saint Vincent University

NSCAD University

Nova Scotia Community College

Saint Mary's University

St. Francis Xavier University

University of King's College

Université Sainte-Anne



This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Learn more about our cookies and privacy policy. I accept