Have you been away from school for a year or more? Have you taken some post-secondary courses and are now looking to continue, or change your program? Do you work full-time in a job, or as a care giver for your family? Have you recently received your adult high school diploma or GED?

Do you know that if you previously attended post-secondary but didn’t finish you could transfer those credits to a new program of study?

If any of these descriptions apply, then you would be considered a mature student, adult learner, non-traditional student, or not-direct-from high school student.

If you have been out of school for a bit, whether it has been one year or 10, the decision to enroll in college or university is a big one.

Finding the right fit

With a growing number of non-traditional students enrolling, most institutions are doing more to accommodate your unique needs, including offering:

  • On-campus child care
  • Flexible programming that includes part-time and online courses to better work with your schedule
  • Spring and summer courses to help spread out the academic workload. Search MySpring&SummerCourses to explore your options.

If you attended college or university previously and didn’t complete your degree, you may be able to transfer your credits to another program or institution. Some schools will accept them from up to 10 years ago. Search MyTransferCredits to see how your previous credits might transfer to a new school or program.

Prior Learning

Did you know you might be eligible for credits based on informal learning? This includes knowledge and skills gained outside a traditional classroom through work or life experience. Visit our Prior Learning Assessments and Recognition (PLAR) page to learn more.

Review the Nova Scotia university and college profiles to find the right fit for you.

Find out if you qualify for financial assistance or a grant.


This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Learn more about our cookies and privacy policy. I accept